A Man and I have had a busy day, Christmas shopping, Christmas Tree shopping, Christmas decoration shopping, graduation photo frame shopping and cleaning the house. Phew! I wanted to do something quick for tea as frankly I wanted to spend the time wrapping presents. Somehow, I managed to make something that was far too summery to be eating after such an advent-themed day (A Man thinks it had something to do with the fact that it was based around a recipe in Levi Roots’ Caribbean Food Made Easy. Could be onto something there…) but it was nevertheless very tasty. It’s also very similar to a favourite Saturday night recipe of my mum’s – Prawny Thing, which I’m sure will make an appearance here at some point!
What’s your favourite Saturday night meal? Do you like to take your time to make something special, or whip up something quick?
I cooked WAY too much pasta – I had to fish around for the veg and leave some of mine!
Raw prawns, defrosted if frozen
Garlic (I used 2 cloves but this was nowhere near enough!), finely chopped
1 red chilli, finely sliced
1 leek, chopped
1/2 courgette, chopped
Green beans, topped and tailed
Lemon zest and juice
- Melt the butter and oil together, and add the garlic and chilli. Marinate the prawns in the mixture for at least 1 hour, longer if possible.
- Cook the spaghetti and beans in a large pan of boiling water until the pasta is al dente.
- Meanwhile, cook the marinated prawns, leek and courgette in a hot frying pan until the prawns are pink all through. Take the pan off of the heat and add the lemon zest and half of the juice.
- Once the pasta has cooked, drain and add the spaghetti and beans to the prawns. Stir well.
- Serve on warmed plates with fresh lemon and lots of black pepper. A glass of white wine would go down nicely too!