Yesterday I planned a quick dinner because I figured it would be more relaxing than spending hours in the kitchen. As it happened, I spent hours in the kitchen anyway as water was streaming through the ceiling and flooding the place. Not impressed. It’s just as well dinner was quick because I definitely didn’t have the energy to do something time consuming after so much mopping! Had I not already thawed the fish you can absolutely bet we’d have had takeaway.
As I’ve already mentioned, this meal is quick (it only takes as long as the pasta takes to cook) and tasty. You can add different veg to it, take the fish out if you don’t fancy, use salmon or ham instead, grate some cheese on top etc. Play around with the ingredients depending on what you’ve got in.
Creamy Trout Fusilli
Fusilli (or any pasta will do)
Courgette (we used a huge one from A Man’s mum’s allotment🙂 )
Juice of half a lemon
Trout fillet, skinned and boned
- Put the pasta on to cook as per the instructions
- Chop the spring onions and fry in a little olive oil. Chop the courgette (and, if it’s anything like as big as ours was, peel it too!) and add to the spring onions. Stir well and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add some cream to the veg and stir well. Add a couple of heaped teaspoons of pesto and the lemon juice and turn the heat down to low. Continue to stir to prevent it from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Once the pasta is cooked, drain most of the water from it, keeping a couple of tablespoons. Add to the sauce and stir well.
- Just before serving, chop the trout into bitesized chunks and stir through the pasta. The heat from the pasta and sauce will cook the fish, so serve immediately to prevent it from overcooking. Serve with lots of fresh black pepper.